What is the fuss all about?
Drying, or dehydrating food at low temperatures guarantees better preservation of the food’s natural properties and healthy enzymes. Water is the only component that is eliminated, thus concentrating the ingredients’ natural sweetners and flavours.
Dehydrated fruit and vegetables are delicious as snacks, in lunchboxes, or added to salads. Try dehydrating apple rings, oranges, blueberries, carrots, beets, tomatoes … experiment at will. Make chili powders, granolas, crackers, cookies, desserts and more.
How to make veggie chips
Your favourite vegetables!
– Slice as thinly as possible
– Toss in a little oil, any kind, and salt
– Dehydrate at about 135F (preserved some enzymes) for at least 6-24 hours depending on thickness. To test if they are done, allow a few to cool for 30-60 minutes. The chips always firm up when cooled. Break one in half and squeeze to see if you got all the moisture out. Alternatively, store a few warm chips in a ziploc bag – if there is condensation they need more time to dry!
Fully dehydrated vegetables store for many months at room temperature.
Nacho Cheese Kale Chips
– 1 cup cashews
– 1 cup shredded carrots
– 1 cup filtered water
– 2 tbsp nutritional yeast
– 2 tsp chilli powder
– 1/2 tsp lemon juice
– 1 tsp salt
– 1 tsp pureed garlic (2 cloves)
– 1/2 tsp onion powder
– 1/2 tsp cumin powder
– 1/8 tsp cayenne powder
– 1/2 pound stemmed curly kale (1 1/2 large bunches)
Soak the cashews in water 4 to 6 hours. Rinse and drain. To make the cheese sauce, combine the cashews, carrot, water, nutritional yeast, chilli, lemon, salt, garlic, oinion, cumin and cayenne in a blender and blend until smooth and creamy. Wash and towel dry the kale and put it in a large bowl. Toss the kale with the sauce, making sure it clings to the leaves. Place the leaves in the dehydrator trays covered with a nonstick sheet. Make sure that each leaf is separated from te eothers and none are on top of each other. This ensures that the leaves dry quickly and evenly. Dehydrate at 105 degrees F until completely crsip, about 12 hours or longer.